Re: Emacs geometry

From: Sridhar Boovaraghavan
Subject: Re: Emacs geometry
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 04:57:05 +0000 (UTC)

I just want to acknowledge Drew for taking up the cudgels on my behalf here. In
these posts he has articulated what I feel. To reiterate:

1. I feel that the new offsetting frame behavior to be a bug.
2. If it is a feature as some have argued, I don't like that as a default.
Granted, I can get my old behavior back, but I feel that the old behavior is a
better default. The argument that some people might have their task bar there
doesn't mean that it is not a good default (clearly, it is not perfect) - such
people can change their settings.
3. If the user has repositioned the emacs window before exiting, then I may be
persuaded to see it coming back to that position when restarted given no other
settings like +0+0 or a defined Left/Top. Even if so, what if he had two frames
open while exiting - do we keep the position of the frame that had the focus as
where emacs would come up - maybe there are other similar questions that need to
be discussed.
4. If the user specifies HxW+X+Y in Emacs.Geometry, how about populating
default-frame-alist with those values (given that he doesn't specify another
value for it through his .emacs or .custom)?

Regards,
Sridhar