Re: ruby-mode

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: ruby-mode
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:54:24 +0200

() David Kastrup <address@hidden>
() Sun, 13 May 2007 20:05:05 +0200

   > I hear that the emacs trunk is now open to new features.

   I don't think that this is an accurate characterization of the
   situation.  There are several branches slated for merging, but the
   details are not clear yet.  Some assessment is underway, however.
   Much of it is tentative: no hard decisions have been reached yet.

   [...] at the current point of time, I don't think that the trunk has
   been declared open for new additions.

that's not the impression i got (from rms' post).

   [...] So my personal guess would be that unicode-2 would be the first
   to get merged into trunk, and rather soon.  Once this stabilizes, it
   may make more sense thinking about updating packages and adding new
   ones.

i think "open to new features" is perfectly accurate.  if the code for
ruby mode is like that for most normal language-specific modes, i cannot
imagine any dependencies it would have w/ multy-tty or unicode-2.
furthermore, those initiatives require pervasive changes, whereas the
addition of a single (say) progmodes/ruby-mode.el is No Big Deal.

ruby mode authors should feel free to post latest code to the mailing
list address@hidden  usually the maintainer (rms in the past
but perhaps someone else going forward (i don't know)) will ask the
poster if they would like to contribute the code to emacs, and if/when
agreed-upon, set in motion the legal side of the process.

thi