emacs 22.0.990, simple start-process crashes emacs on 64-bit Windows

From: Kevin Layer
Subject: emacs 22.0.990, simple start-process crashes emacs on 64-bit Windows
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:17:29 -0700

Eli Zaretskii asked me to report the problem here instead of
bug-gnu-emacs.  Here's what I know so far:

Startup emacs -q and put this into the *scratch* buffer

  (start-process "foo" "*foo*" "c:/windows/notepad.exe")

On evaling this, I see a pause of a few seconds then the emacs window
disappears.   (For me, notepad.exe is in windows/ and well as
windows/system32/.)

The same behavior occurs on emacs 21 (.3 and .4).

I'm on Windodws Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition, SP 2, but I've
seen it on XP Pro (64-bit), too.  I'm on an AMD64.  (I don't have or
care about IA64 64-bit Windows.)

The emacs 22.0.990 was built on 32-bit XP Pro with MSVC 6.0 (w/sp6 (I
believe)).

I ran this under windbg, and I got absolutely nowhere.  I set a
breakpoint at Fstart_process and it never got there.   windbg did say
the breakpoint was there and active.

Here's what is on the stack after the emacs window disappears:

ntdll!NtTerminateProcess+0xa
wow64!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0xd6
wow64cpu!ServiceNoTurbo+0x28
wow64!RunCpuSimulation+0xa
wow64!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x2ed
ntdll!LdrpInitializeProcess+0x1538
ntdll!LdrpInitialize+0x18f
ntdll!KiUserApcDispatcher+0x15
0x77d59620
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0

I did set in windbg the source path to the emacs-22.0.990\src
directory.

I might be able to allow someone to poke around using crossloop.com
(which is based on VNC).