Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:48:34 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:01:43 +0900
>
> > On the trunk the change is not conditioned on w32.
>
> For the trunk, how about trying the fix of my version
> (i.e. the change to find-buffer-file-type-coding-system)?

I'm uneasy with that change, because there are other places that use a
cons cell as the second argument to find-operation-coding-system, and
I'm not sure what you propose is good for them.  For example, mule.el
defines a utility function decode-coding-inserted-region that also
uses a cons cell.  (This utility function is currently used in
jka-compr.el, pcvs.el and url-handlers.el.)  Both it and its users are
sufficiently complex that I couldn't easily decide whether the change
you suggest will DTRT for them.  Can you help me understand that?

> By the way, for emacs-unicode-2, I have a plan of new
> functions insert-region-contents and write-region-to-buffer
> that do the similar thing as insert-file-contents and
> write-region but gets/puts the contents from/to a region of
> a specified buffer.  They encapsulte various weird tasks for
> decoding and encoding, and can easility be used both by
> tar-mode and arc-mode.

That's good to hear.  I hope that insert-file-contents and
write-region will be implemented on top of these new primitives, or at
least that they all will use the same subroutines to encode/decode
text and set the buffer's file coding system, because currently
tar-mode and arc-mode mimic those parts of insert-file-contents (in
two subtly different ways).