Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:18:36 +1200

 > I have recently experienced similar "integration with a modern
 > desktop environment" on Mac OS X, where we have the choice
 > between standard Carbon Emacs and Aquamacs, which tries to behave
 > more like other Mac applications.  As a longtime Emacs user on
 > many platforms, I find Aquamacs highly unpleasant.  Many of its
 > "enhancements," like widespread use of variable-width fonts,
 > color themes, and pop-up frames, are counterproductive.

When there is choice I don't see how they can be counterproductive;
presumably you can just use Carbon Emacs.

 > I already have a number of lines in my .emacs disabling various
 > bits of modernization (e.g. tooltip-mode, tool-bar-mode,
 > blink-cursor-mode, enormous fringes on both sides),

Enormous is an exaggeration - they're one character wide - and since
you _can_ disable them I see no problem.  I don't see these features
simply as modernisation.  I find the toolbar useful for debugging and
the fringe displays breakpoint icons.  I imagine other people have other
uses for them.

 >                                                     and expect
 > that acceding to Gnome's wishes would just add to this list.
 > Emacs has its own ways of doing things, and some of us prefer
 > them, and believe they are better than more "modern"
 > alternatives.  There are many clear improvements available in
 > modern environments, such as the option of having anti-aliased
 > fonts.  But I urge the Emacs developers to be wary of making
 > changes simply because they make Emacs more "modern," and to
 > continue to make it possible to disable such changes.

I think a bit of flexibility is needed on both sides.  This could get
blown up out of proportion, but I think it should really be a small
issue.