Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable inElispmanualindex]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable inElispmanualindex]
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:00:21 -0400

>     The gain is that an HTML browser that provides a binding (say on the
>     `i' key) that allows looking up a term in the index,
>     can then be used with full functionality to browse Texinfo manuals.

> I would hope that we do not need to create an ersatz node to provide
> this functionality.  Doing that seems very wrong to me.  Can't the
> implementation of such a "binding" be smart enough to look in the proper
> places?  What language are you talking about, anyway?

An HTML browser can't/shouldn't know that it's looking at a Texinfo manual
and then magically know that to lookup in an index it needs to go to the
"top" node and then look for links with "index" in their name etc...

OTOH, it can/should provide a way to make use of the <link rel="index" ...>
feature defined in the HTML spec.  So makeinfo should make use of that
feature as well.

        Stefan