Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:49:55 -0400

On Jun 7, 2007, at 14:33, Tom Tromey wrote:
Jan> - Printing, basically Emacs does not have a "modern" print dialog.

I thought the comment here was just about using the wrong program to
access printing.  But, I'm not an expert here.

On my Mac I've found the most convenient way to print a file the way I wanted to from Emacs was to save it, use "M-! open foo.txt" to invoke the Mac TextEdit program, and use the standard Mac print dialog available there to select the options I wanted. I'd like to see it available directly in Emacs too. It allows not just for selection of which printer, but page layout/selection/ordering configuration options, color processing, saving as PDF files, feeding PDFs to other programs (at least some of which I think is customized by the user, across all programs using the print dialogs), and other options, and apparently (at least in when used in the Mail program) application-specific options as well. All the printers I use are postscript, but I assume somewhere between the print dialog and the printing subsystem, it also deals with appropriate format conversions of text and images for the printer selected, whether it understands postscript or something else.

If "use Gnome print dialog" means "use the system print dialog, where under X we mean Gnome", then I'm all in favor of adding that as an option. (Of course supporting plain lpr still has its place.)

* Keyring support.  I have some code for this (supporting either the
  Gnome keyring or a private Emacs-specific one), but I haven't wired
  it in to all the code in Emacs that uses passwords.

The Mac also has its Keychain system for storing passwords, encrypting them, optionally keeping them synchronized across machines, prompting the user to confirm that a program is allowed to access passwords stored by other programs, etc.

Ken