Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:46:26 -0400

>> Redefining completing-read is a no-no in my book.  Please try to rewrite
>> your code so as not to do that (e.g. using minibuffer-setup-hook).

> I don't see how to do that.  Concrete suggestions welcome.  Please have
> a look at the existing code.  Likewise for the other, related functions
> (`read-file-name', etc.).

I'd rather it be the other way around: tell us what you're trying to do (and
finding you cannot do).

> I'm not sure why the redefinition within Icicle mode is a no-no.  I'm not
> arguing, but I don't see the reason for the prohibition.

It's OK for an external package (tho I prefer defadvice), but for reasons of
maintainability and general principle it's not good inside Emacs.
We probably do have such things already inside Emacs, but we want to reduce
such occurrences rather than increase them.

> Perhaps if you explain what you mean about using minibuffer-setup-hook,
> there will be no need.

E.g. Why not do the fiddling of initial-input with icicle-initial-value in
a minibuffer-setup-hook?

        Stefan