Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:23:55 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
  > >   >
  > >   > >     How about merging the multi-tty branch? The changes on that
branch are
  > >   > >     much more localized, so porting fixes from the trunk to the
EMACS_22
  > >   > >     branch should not be a big issue.
  > >   > >
  > >   > > Does anyone see a problem with this idea?
  > >   >
  > >   > Well, the setenv/process-environment thing I wanted to have a look at:
  > >   > in the current state, it will require quite a few changes in existing
  > >   > packages (including packages not distributed as part of Emacs), and I
  > >   > think that the approach which I sketched out would pretty much
  > >   > eliminate that problem.
  > >
  > > Let me reiterate Karoly's (the multi-tty author) opinion on this,
  > > which I also second as a contributor to that branch and as a (almost
  > > exclusive) user for about 2 years: the environment variables thing
  > > is a peripheral issue, and a rather obscure one.
  >
  > Dan, please either either _quote_ Karoly, or speak for yourself.  I
  > don't think that you do Karoly a favor by this sort of "reiteration".

I don't appreciate the snide remarks and your off the high horse
attitude, if you find any factual inaccuracies in my statement, please
point to them.

The citation you asked for is below. I find my statements to be quite
accurate.

Now, for RMS' benefit: I am not sure what the point of your message
was, but you have not disproved in your message the main arguments of
my message: the environments issue is a side story for the multi-tty
branch, it can easily be changed with minimal side effects after the
merge IFF we find there is a problem with the current implementation.

The code on the multi-tty branch is surely not perfect, and more
issues might be discovered after it is merged, but it is functional
today. Getting it into the hands of more developers will only help
this process.

You seem to have very strong opinions about this environment stuff,
you are welcome to offer an alternative implementation that satisfies
all the constraints the current one does, but please stop blocking
progress because of that.

-- citing earlier messages from a different thread as requested --