Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:48:28 -0400

      These two variables would normally be
    > frame-local, and in each frame, they would have the right values for
    > that frame's terminal.

    I'd make them terminal-local.

Either one.

    The problem I see with this is that Károly expressed a strong
    preference for having the _complete_ environment terminal-local
    (personally, I think this a bad idea but have not been able to
    convince him and several others): he preferred to consider a
    separately started emacsclient session to have an _independent_
    complete set of environment variables.

If we want that, it can be a separate and independent feature.
There is no need to combine that question with this one.
It is clear that TERM and DISPLAY should go with the terminal
regardless of use of emacsclient.

    Using the above scheme with terminal-process-environment would still
    facilitate that, but in that case most of the direct manipulations and
    queries working on process-environment would fail to work.

`terminal-process-environment' is cumbersome.  I'd rather have
`term-environment-variable' and `display-environment-variable',
as I explained.

This may require rewriting various Lisp programs -- but it brings a
benefit in clarity that can justify an incompatible change.