Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:21:36 -0400

    We could probably use some heuristics: if DISPLAY is set, and/or if
    X11 runtime libraries appear available and/or an executable named X
    (the last probably being most reliable and easy to check), then we'll
    barf unless the user explicitly says -without-X11.

That seems like a good idea.

Whether to use a toolkit or not, and if so which, is a choice between
various ways of providing the same feature, all equally legitimate.
By contrast, whether to have X support is a matter of having or losing
an important feature.