Re: A wish, a plea

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:55:44 +0200

On 6/22/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

That sounds to me as sensible as putting the cat habitually in a
garbage bin temporarily, then complaining that the garbage men do not
even take a look at what they are taking away, since garbage should be
declared to be garbage by virtue of a voluntary act, not just by
sitting in the garbage bin.

Irrelevant, I think. I don't know anyone who puts the cat in the
garbage bin. I know people who lost data (code, in fact) because he
forgot that had been hacking around in *scratch*. David, this is
Juanma. Juanma, David. Nice to meet you.

I think Karl said it best: "[...] the failure mode of the status quo
is much more severe than the failure mode of being asked to save
scratch work that you don't want to save."

If people use *scratch* for creating documents, lisp-interaction-mode
is the wrong mode, anyway.

I don't often create documents in *scratch*, but I do hack code that
I'm unsure whether to add to some package (or my .emacs) or not. That
seems a sensible use of *scratch*. You insist on talking about
erroneous uses of *scratch*, while I think the issue is accidental
exiting of Emacs even when you're using *scratch* for its intended
goal.

            Juanma