Re: highlight failed part of isearch input

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: highlight failed part of isearch input
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:01:06 -0400

That is a nice feature.  Let's install it.

I am not convinced we should use the same face for trailing spaces
and other things.  And I am not convinced we want subdued colors for
this highlighting.

    > Also I think it would be annoying to highlight
    > the whole search string when it fails (like when repeating the search with
    > the string from the search ring).  It could do this only during typing the
    > search string character by character.

    I don't agree about that. It lets you know right away what you've done. For
    example, perhaps you changed buffers, so the previous search string is no
    longer pertinent. The slight color change is enough to signal what's
    happening,

I agree with you.