Re: emacs 22.1 hogging CPU

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: emacs 22.1 hogging CPU
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:47:01 +0530

Hi,

On 7/23/07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
Maybe the feature could involve an alist whose elements look like
(FILE VARIABLE REGEXP ERROR).  It could be initialized to

(("semantic.el" semantic-version "2.0pre3"
  "Version %s of %s won't run in Emacs 22"))

IMHO, since this data keeps changing (often or not), this should be
seperated from the general Emacs distribution. Also, this could be a
seperate package which can be loaded if the user wants. The error or
warning could be configured. At times, I may be evaluating a package
and would want to continue with a warning instead of an error which
prevents it from even getting loaded. The data file to drive such
checks could be hosted in the emacs wiki page (or some other place).
The distribution could carry the latest along with it.

Personally, I feel this will be very useful for users and also emacs
developer community in resolving issues. The data file can be a first
check to find out if it is a known issue.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!