Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:08:31 -0400

>> Actually, Stefan has pointed out that the current behavior was
>> implemented to fix a bug, and it matches the documentation.  So I
>> don't think there's a problem here.

> We both agreed on that before.  However the bug led the OP to believe
> that this is Emacs' standard behavior and he wanted to have it back.

> I suggested to have `display-buffer' not split dedicated windows
> (unless there's just one) which should fix his problem.

The case that the OP mentioned seemed like a case where both the old and the
new behaviors are acceptable, with no clear favorite.  So I think we may as
well leave the code alone.
Unless I misunderstood or overlooked a detail, of course.

> If we don't, could someone please tell the OP that we are not going to
> change this.

I'm experimenting with a feature that marks some frames as "balanced" such
that any window-creation/deletion or frame resizing causes the windows to be
rebalanced with balance-windows or balance-windows-area.  In such
a situation, whether "| a | b |" is split as "|a|c| b |" or as "| a |c|b|"
doesn't matter that much, since that'll be rebalanced to something visually
identical anyway.

        Stefan