Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:49:19 +0200

>>I suggested to have `display-buffer' not split dedicated windows
>>(unless there's just one) which should fix his problem.
>

> The case that the OP mentioned seemed like a case where both the old and the
> new behaviors are acceptable, with no clear favorite.  So I think we may as
> well leave the code alone.
> Unless I misunderstood or overlooked a detail, of course.

Aren't all your windows dedicated, thus it wouldn't make any difference
for you?  For other users, a dedicated window might express some kind of
desire to not have Emacs touch that window if possible.  Personally, I
have no preferences here.  I'd just wanted to propose the OP a way to
get his old behavior back.

>>If we don't, could someone please tell the OP that we are not going to
>>change this.
>

> I'm experimenting with a feature that marks some frames as "balanced" such
> that any window-creation/deletion or frame resizing causes the windows to be
> rebalanced with balance-windows or balance-windows-area.  In such
> a situation, whether "| a | b |" is split as "|a|c| b |" or as "| a |c|b|"
> doesn't matter that much, since that'll be rebalanced to something visually
> identical anyway.

Would this clash with `temp-buffer-resize-mode'?