RE: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:24:33 -0700

> > However, I do use what is essentially Kim's `make-glyph-code' (which I
> > thought was going to be added to Emacs for version 23), so I
> hope glyphs are
> > not being removed altogether. (I use `make-glyph-code' to provide
> > replacement text for "^L" for inserted form-feed chars.)
>
> I don't intend to delete the concept of "glyph".  I'm just
> going to change the Lispy representation of "glyph" from
> integer to something like (CHAR . FACE-ID).  But if we do
> that, we can't keep backward compatibility about
> glyph-table.  So I suggest to delete it if not that useful
> now.

Hmm. It sounds like that change would necessitate a change to Kim's
function. Since I use his definition without really understanding it ;-), I
would appreciate a version that will work after your changes. And I'd like
to know what I can test in my code to know which version to use (for use
with different Emacs versions).

Here is the definition I am using now (Emacs 22.1):

(defun make-glyph-code (char &optional face)
  "Return a glyph code representing char CHAR with face FACE."
  (if face
      (logior char (lsh (face-id face)
                        (if (<= emacs-major-version 22) 19 22)))
    char))

Thanks.