Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:03:05 -0700 (PDT)

> There are nonetheless beginners who habitually run Emacs with a file
> name argument, and would never see the splash screen if it only
> appeared with no argument.  The reason I made that change is that
> I discovered this phenomenon.

How are there (Emacs) beginners who "habitually run Emacs" at all?  In any
case, one could make the splash screen appear regardless the very first
time Emacs were run, in that if no .emacs were present it would
automatically write one that suppressed the splash-screen-with-arguments
behavior.

Of course, even that test is imperfect; borrowing someone else's machine
or account for whatever reason does not make one a beginner.  And creating
files without being asked is not very good behavior.  But neither is
making it inordinately difficult to edit a file.

Davis

shipping.