Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:58:28 -0500

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:43:51 +0100 Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

JR> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> I am not looking for stability.  The current Cocoa port is *unusable*

JR> You do mean Carbon, don't you? The Cocoa/GNUstep port is not yet
JR> merged.

Yes, I posted a correction.  I'm definitely not a MacOS developer :)

JR> I think if we disable it now, it will never be revived, even if someone
JR> later comes forward who can maintain it. It's maybe better to leave our
JR> options open at this stage, at least until the Cocoa/GNUstep work is
JR> merged. The VMS code was unmaintained for years before we finally
JR> disabled and removed it.

I understand.  Would it be possible to at least tell users "the Carbon
port has performance issues" in the docs?  It's truly unusable at this
point.

>> and *unmaintained* (to the best of my knowledge) which is a very
>> different thing from unstable and the reason I'm trying to bring up this
>> issue again after 2 weeks of silence on the subject.  I'd fix it myself
>> if I could, but I need at least some help (I posted on that earlier in
>> the thread) and none has been offered on the emacs-devel list since my
>> attempt 2 weeks ago.
>>

JR> I don't think anyone feels qualified to make an open offer of general
JR> help. But if you post specific issues here, then people may be able to
JR> help you on a case-by-case basis. I have been through the pain of
JR> getting the Windows port working after the multi-tty merge, and the
JR> former Carbon maintainer may still be reading the list if you need OSX
JR> specific help. The multi-tty code and design is currently poorly
JR> understood, but that is a general problem, not an OSX specific one.

There's a single specific issue: interactively, Emacs is unusable in the
Carbon port.  Matsuharu gave a hint for fixing it (see my earlier post).
I tried what he said and it didn't work; no one has been interested in
helping me further.  I can re-summarize in a separate post if you think
it will help.

Thank you for discussing this with me.

Ted