Re: syncing from Emacs to Gnus

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: syncing from Emacs to Gnus
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:39:35 -0500

    (1) When enhancing some Gnus functionality, we often need to modify
        Gnus files as well as library files.  Example: Some change in
        nnimap.el might need a change in imap.el as well (e.g. adding a
        new optional argument).

Gnus depends on lots of files in Emacs.  These are just like the
others -- general purpose facilities (we moved them BECAUSE they are
general purpose) which Gnus happens to use.  They should NEVER have
been included in Gnus.

You can propose a change in these files, or any other files in Emacs.
Please propose it here, and we may agree to it.  But that is not a
forgone conclusion, and if we decide not to make the change, please do
not put a divergent version of that function into Gnus.

Meanwhile, if Gnus wants to support versions of Emacs before the next
one, it will need some compatibility code.