Re: syncing from Emacs to Gnus

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: syncing from Emacs to Gnus
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:12:34 -0500

    As I said, many/most of those packages were written specifically for
    Gnus.  I.e. if it weren't for Gnus they wouldn't exist.  The fact that
    the author was careful to try and make it generic, expecting potential
    uses in other packages, doesn't change anything to it.

What thus changes is the right way to install the file:
in Emacs, outside of Gnus.

    Over time, those packages may/will find uses in other packages and will
    start to take a life or their own, and separate from Gnus,

That's a misleading description of what has happened.  These packages
were general in nature from the very start.  It is not chance or
coincidence that they "found uses" outside of Gnus.  That was
inevitable in their design purpose.

When people write these packages, even if the motive for writing them
is about Gnus, the right way to install them is as general packages in
Emacs.