Re: D-Bus integration into Emacs

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: D-Bus integration into Emacs
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 20:36:40 +1300

Christian Faulhammer writes:
 > Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:
 >
 > >  > I've committed the files to the trunk. In order to activate D-Bus
 > >  > integration, one must apply "./configure --with-dbus". It's tested
 > >  > under GNU/Linux only, but there seem to exist D-Bus
 > >  > implementations for Mac OS X and Win32 as well.
 > > If someone has D-Bus on their OS would they want to configure Emacs
 > > without it?  Shouldn't configure just check for this feature and
 > > configure Emacs to use it if found, as is done with most other
 > > features?
 >
 >  Yes, maybe they want Emacs without it, so please make it selectable
 > without automagic detection.

I'm starting from a position of ignorance, but perhaps resolve that by
explaining in simple terms both what dbus would give me and why I might not
want it.  The reality is that if it's off by default, most users won't be aware
of it to turn it on.  However, if it's on by default, presumably only users who
already knew about it would want to turn it off.