Re: D-Bus integration into Emacs

From: Christian Faulhammer
Subject: Re: D-Bus integration into Emacs
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:48:23 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:

> Christian Faulhammer writes:
>  > Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:
>  > >  > I've committed the files to the trunk. In order to activate
>  > >  > D-Bus integration, one must apply "./configure --with-dbus".
>  > >  > It's tested under GNU/Linux only, but there seem to exist
>  > >  > D-Bus implementations for Mac OS X and Win32 as well.
>  > > If someone has D-Bus on their OS would they want to configure
>  > > Emacs without it?  Shouldn't configure just check for this
>  > > feature and configure Emacs to use it if found, as is done with
>  > > most other features?
>  >  Yes, maybe they want Emacs without it, so please make it
>  > selectable without automagic detection.
> I'm starting from a position of ignorance, but perhaps resolve that by
> explaining in simple terms both what dbus would give me and why I
> might not want it.  The reality is that if it's off by default, most
> users won't be aware of it to turn it on.  However, if it's on by
> default, presumably only users who already knew about it would want
> to turn it off.

 Most people who build a D-Bus aware Emacs will follow the commits and
mailing lists closely.  So they know how they do...in Gentoo (which is
source-based, so build on the user's system) people can have D-Bus
globally but only deactivated for Emacs for whatever reason.
Auto-detection will switch it on even if USE=dbus is not activated, we
patch ALSA detection out to give users control if they want to have
ALSA everywhere except Emacs.
 So mostly it reduces hassle for packagers.  People using Emacs CVS on
Gentoo see the option dbus and can choose if they activate it.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>