Re: Uninformative comment in files.el

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: Uninformative comment in files.el
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:31:32 +0200

Vinicius Jose Latorre <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This is not explained in etc/TODO file.
>>>
>>> The patch refers to this line in etc/TODO file:
>>>
>>>    ** revert-buffer should eliminate overlays and the mark.
>>>

>>> Does anyone know why this is necessary?
>>
>> I'm afraid the patch installed is overly simplistic.  You can find out
>> more by looking at the thread starting with
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-11/msg01346.html
>>
>> For the moment I'd strongly propose to revert the change and study the
>> problem in more depth.
>
> Ok, I've read the thread.  Indeed, the problem is not so simple.
>
> I've just undone the patch in CVS trunk.

After reading that thread (which I neglected to do beforehand, sorry) I
still think that revert-buffer should remove all overlays and the mark.

My reasoning is based on the way revert-buffer is implemented, which is
to work for a simple default scenario, and to hand off any more complex
reverting to other modes via `revert-buffer-function', which replaces
revert-buffer's actions entirely if defined. For this reason, I don't
see any one fix which would solve the problem for all modes.

In any case, could you please install the docstring portion of the
patch? It is a better description of what `revert-buffer-function'
does. If needed, I can send in a patch which does only that.