Re: Uninformative comment in files.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Uninformative comment in files.el
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:20:16 -0500

> After reading that thread (which I neglected to do beforehand, sorry) I
> still think that revert-buffer should remove all overlays and the mark.

I disagree.  Anything that's not a minor mode will suffer from similar
problems and setting revert-buffer-function is not an option for them.
Your change will cause problems for the other category of minor-mode
like packages: those that need their overlays to survive a revert-buffer.

Blindly removing all overlays is drastic, and even more so if the only
way to prevent it is to set revert-buffer-function.

If a package needs to delete its hooks upon revert (e.g. cua-mode), then
it can use `before-revert-hook' and `after-revert-function'.

        Stefan

PS: For what it's worth, I believe that those two hooks should be
applied regardless of revert-buffer-function.