Re: Commit practices

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Commit practices
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:36:57 -0500

The reason I have asked people not to commit multiple files
is that they bloat the log entries of each file, making them
essentially unusable.

    I did it this way for a reason.  Someday we are going to want to
    migrate the CVS tree to a VCS that has real changesets.  We're almost
    certainly going to do it with a tool functionally like cvs2svn that
    tries to reconstruct commit groups using date, the content of the
    comments, and possibly this Commit-ID thing I see in the CVS logs. It
    will be helpful, when we do that, if there as many similarities across
    related commits as possible for the migration tool to grab onto.

In effect, the suggestion here is that we abandon the idea
of useful readable info associated by the VCS with each file.

That would mean that the ChangeLog file is the only place
for such info.

I won't say "absolutely not".