Re: rfn-eshadow

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: rfn-eshadow
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:51:07 +0200

>> ffap.el mentions FSF as a maintainer, but actually this bug has nothing
>> to do with ffap.
>
> On the contrary it has everything to do with ffap.

Do you mean ffap is the only package that reads file names and URLs
in the same minibuffer and thus needs a special handling?

>> I think the right way to fix this problem is the following patch that
>> prevents handling of URLs by file-name-shadow-mode:
>
> No, the right way is for ffap to either not set
> minibuffer-completing-file-name (which probably requires more
> changes in order to recover the desired completion behavior) or to
> explain to rfn-eshadow what kind of file-names are accepted via
> a file-name-handler (which can be added only temporarily).
>
> For the record, URL entry works just fine with rfn-eshadow if you enable
> url-handler-mode.

I don't think url-handler-mode should be enabled by ffap, but maybe a similar
handling of file-name-handler could be added to ffap.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/