Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 09:30:22 -0500

    The "current sources" is generally going to be one of the repo tip revisions
    packaged into a tarball by a release manager.  This is not a VCS operation.

That applies if/when you make a release.  But what about between relesaes?
Currently we recommend that people "build the source from CVS", and we
don't say "from the trunk" because that is a general convention of CVS
usage.

If we used git, what convention would replace that?  Would we have to
establish our own?  Would we need to maintain a file saying which branch
to get and build?  If so, I think the operation of adding versions
to that branch would be the real analogue of a CVS commit to the urunk.