Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:14:22 -0500

> I hook into vc-do-command... I'm not sure if that is really a good idea.
> I guess that's why we have patch review :-)

I general it doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I'll reserve my judgment
until I see the code.

> It is also worth considering if we really want to clear the ewoc
> before re-running 'status' (or, eventually, 'update').  I suspect we
> don't want to.  This seems to be what PCL-CVS does, and it has the
> nice effect of preserving the user's marks and point during
> operations.

PCL-CVS used to clear the ewoc, so I obviously believe it's worth the
effort to not clear it, so as to preserve mark and such.  Also because
you want to work on parts of a vc-status display (some backends don't
like it as much as CVS, but it's still pretty common).

> I think that means we need a nice way to insert a new element into the
> proper position in the ewoc; maybe a new ewoc method is needed.  (This
> is different than updating the display incrementally, since right now
> we just assume the back end hook provides the files in the right order
> and we just insert them into the ewoc in that order.)

Can't remember how I do it in PCL-CVS.

        Stefan