Re: emacsclient bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient bug
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:52:53 -0500

>> > It sounds like the problem is larger than just treating DISPLAY as an
>> > implicit -display parameter.  If I pass -display $DISPLAY, would emacs
>> > also incorrectly open a new frame, rather than using the existing tty
>> > (assuming I supply neither -c or -t)?
>>
>> Of course it would open a new X11 frame: That's what `-display' is for.

> I had always thought of --display and $DISPLAY as fulfilling the same
> function, setting the name of your X server, rather than an
> instruction to perform an action (open a window when you otherwise
> wouldn't).  The other behaviour of emacs is consistent with this
> interpretation:

In X11 that's indeed what it traditionally does.  In Emacs-22.1 where
I added the --display argument, it indeed worked that way.

> emacs -nw --display $DISPLAY        (opens in tty)
> emacsclient -t --display $DISPLAY   (opens in tty)

Indeed and

  emacs --display $DISPLAY
  emacsclient --display $DISPLAY

should also both use an X11 frame on $DISPLAY.
That fact that the Emacs server does not yet have an X11 connection open
is not taken into account to decide what to: if the client does not
explicitly ask for a tty, then the default is to use an X11 frame.

        Stefan