Re: Tramp 2.0 -> 2.1 migration woes

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp 2.0 -> 2.1 migration woes
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:31:32 +0100

"Trent W. Buck" <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I could learn to tolerate that amount of prompting... one
> thing to consider is what happens if I mess up the multihop (proxy)
> sequence because e.g. the notes the other sysadmin gave me are out of
> date.  Would I have to manually remove the entries from
> tramp-default-proxies-alist?

OK. Maybe it is sufficient to add it temporarily only, and raise a
message how to add it permanently. Then it is always *your* duty to
keep it consistent.

> I'm also not sure that middling to complicated proxying arrangements
> can even be set up with the current tramp-default-proxies-alist.  For
> example, suppose a host allows ssh from anywhere, but locks down its
> internal staff-only FTP upload area to sites on the corporate subnet?
> You'd need to have the /ftp:appdev:/incoming use an /ssh:gw: proxy,
> but /ssh:appdev: should not use any proxy (although it would still
> work with one, it would just waste gw's bandwidth).

I'ld recommend to use 2 Emacs profiles, with different settings of
tramp-default-proxies-alist. I do something similar in .gnus:

(if (my-ping "mail.work.de")
    (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
          smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.work.de"
          smtpmail-local-domain "work.de")
  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
        smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.home.de"
        smtpmail-local-domain "home.de"))

Of course, you might use other decision criteria than pinging a host.

Best regards, Michael.