Re: functionp bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: functionp bug
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:23:34 -0400

> There are around 70 (functionp somevar) in Gnus.  I'd guess that many
> of these expect `functionp' to return non-nil for special forms (or,
> if, and, ...).

All the places that call `functionp' and expect it to return t for `or',
and `if', have a bug, because they should also accept `when' for which
`functionp' has been returning nil for a loooong time now.

> Maybe it is possible to fix them all, but is it really the right thing
> to make such an incompatible change?  What is the reason for
> this change?

That the strange definition of `functionp' was never what was really
needed: if special-forms should be accepted, than so should macros.

        Stefan