Re: font-lock-extend-region-multiline: Args out of range: 0, 0

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: font-lock-extend-region-multiline: Args out of range: 0, 0
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:11:12 +0000

Hi, Stefan and Emacs!

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:35:57AM +0800, an0 wrote:
>> I met this error [font-lock-extend-region-multiline: Args out of
>> range: 0, 0] when I use `smart-compile' on a cpp file.

This error happens in very recent CVS Emacsen because CC Mode has just
started using font-lock-after-change-extend-region-function.  This
variable is not buffer local, and it thus fouled up the compilation log
buffer.

Stefan, this variable was originally buffer local.  When you moved it
from font-core.el V1.41 to font-lock.el V1.299 on 2006-08-01, you
removed the buffer locality (modifying the doc string to indicate this).
Can you remember why?

I can't see any reason why it would ever be useful for
font-lock-after-change-extend-region-function not to be buffer local.  I
think it would be best to make it buffer local in font-lock.el.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).