Re: Obsolete functions and variables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Obsolete functions and variables
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:53:46 -0400

>> >  Removing them, even after many years, could break some programs
>> >  that people have not updated.  Be careful!
>>
>> I'm nog going to remove any of them. I should confess that my remark
>> was ironic, because I knew Nick was being way too optimistic...

> Maybe it was flippant but I don't see any irony.  Perhaps obsolete functions
> and variables should only be removed after two major releases.  I guess
> the dangers generally outweigh the advantages but there's not much point in
> marking them obsolete if they're never going to be removed.

Usually, we look at the obsolete vars&funs, select the really old ones
(e.g. the ones that are obsolete since 20.7 or maybe even 21.1) and then
check which of these can be safely removed.

BTW, could someone update the obsolete/*.el packages by adding in the
header an indication about the release in which they were made obsolete?

        Stefan