RE: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:20:53 -0700

> > Could you (someone) explain why nothing was done?
>
> My impression was that the problem was not deemed important enough to
> fix.  But that's me.

Thanks, that makes it clearer.

If it helps understand why this can be important, I can explain my use case
more. I don't want to take up bandwidth, if not.

> > Assuming for the moment that there is no intention to do
> > anything about it, can someone at least weigh in on the code
> > I sent (which I'm still using)? Suggestions for improvement?

Any ideas on this? Given that I'm using Lisp, not C, is what I'm doing a
reasonable way to handle the Windows mapped drives test?

> > What about the question wrt `file-remote-p' and `ffap-remote-p'?
>
> I don't think the current notion of remote files in Emacs is
> consistent with what you want.

Part of what I was saying was that we don't seem to have a single notion of
remote file-name test. The difference between what `file-remote-p' and
`ffap-remote-p' do is one aspect of that.

> I suggest instead to lobby for a separate primitive; I'd support
> that if it were available on Unix and GNU systems as well.

OK, consider this a lobby. ;-) But I don't know what kind of primitive you have
in mind. I explained what I thought I needed, but I'm not sure that is what you
have in mind.