Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:12:42 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
2. How about registering M-tab by default?
I know some people would hate it. ;-)

Some? I suspect that most would appreciate it, but I might be wrong.

If it's a toss-up, then shouldn't Emacs emphasize Emacs, not Windows? As long as
there is a way for users to put Windows back in control, what's the harm in
giving Emacs the control by default?

As you know we have been through this many times before. My gut feeling is that most users prefer consistency over very smart key sequences. Of course I do not mean long time Emacs users then, but potentially new users.

3. How about mentioning w32-register-hot-key in the Emacs manual,
   and indexing it there? This represents an important FAQ.
Maybe because it does not work that good with the Windows keys?

What does that mean? Do you mean the Windows key? Please elaborate.

MS documents Alt-Tab and the windows keys as special. Don't ask me for any links now, but I believe I have given such links earlier (not quite sure).

To alter those keys you have to use a low level keyboard hook. Such beasts are app specific and where invented as a reaction to the critics raised against earlier mechanisms for keyboard control on w32. (At least that was how I understands it.)

And why would that mean that it shouldn't be documented?

Because it does not work consistently without the low level keyboard hook.