Re: 23.0.60; emacs-report-bug fails silently

From: Florian Beck
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; emacs-report-bug fails silently
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:42:38 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Florian Beck wrote:
>> Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
>> usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

>> Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
>> and the precise symptoms of the bug:
>>
>> If I send a bug with
>>
>> emacs -Q
>> M-x report-emacs-bug
>>
>> emacs trys to use sendmail-user-agent by default.
>>
>> This doesn't work, which is no surprise because I haven't even installed
>> sendmail.
>>
>> What *is* a problem is that there is no indication that sending the
>> message failed. Emacs even displays Sending…done.
>>
>> if I wouldn't read emacs-pretest-bug, I'd never known by bug report was
>> not delivered.
>
> Is not this similar to the situation we had before on w32? The
> solution to that was mailclient-send-it in mailclient.el.

No, this happens on Ubuntu and probably on many gnu-linux-systems that
do not install sendmail by default. I'm sorry, I forgot the system information.
(see below)

Also, I'm not looking for a workaround. (After I set mail-user-agent to
gnus-user-agent everything is fine.) I'm reporting that on systems
without sendmail bug reports likely disappear without trace.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.4 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2008-05-29 on aeschylus
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=no' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O0
-fno-crossjumping -g''

--
Florian Beck