Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:56:20 +0100

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

It really looks unpleasant in the font recorded here, taking up two rows
so the accent can be displayed alone on top of the letter, so I'm
curious if Emacs will pick the right appearance if the font has an
accented version of the character.

No. There are no unicode codepoints for those accented characters AFAICS so we can't do the substitution within Emacs. The only way to combine them would be if the font contained GSUB (glyph substitution) tables with entries for those sequences of characters, and Emacs had been told to use font-shape-text for displaying Cyrillic (currently it is only used for Indic and some South East Asian scripts, but should be for Arabic as well). The library that Emacs uses for shaping (libotf/m17n-flt or on Windows uniscribe) might need some knowledge of those accented characters as well, I'm not entirely sure of how glyph shaping all fits together.

Different fonts might have different metrics for the accent characters though, which could improve the appearance.