Re: X fonts selection weirdness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: X fonts selection weirdness
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:45:23 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> If the user choose a default font capable of displaying one of those
>> charsets, it seems like he would _want_ the default font to be used!
>
> Not for non-Latin scripts, especially CJK and those require
> CTL (Complex Text Layout).  Usually the default font, even
> if it claims that it has the specific character, the design
> is not good or doesn't contain proper OTF tables.

I'm confused.

If I specify, for instance, a default font of "Sazanami 12", that works
great for both ascii and CJK characters, and has the rather nice
property that the 2-1 width ration of CJK and ascii characters is
preserved exactly (so, e.g., character graphics look correct).

Morever, since such a font's main repertoire is CJK characters, if
somebody specifies it as the _default_ font, it would seem fairly
obvious that they want to use it to display both ascii and CJK
characters.

When a user specifies such a default font, which has a very wide
repertoire, that's a very simple way for them to get consistent
rendering.

I gather you're instead talking about fonts that mainly cover ascii, and
"accidentally" happen to include some other characters?

-Miles

--
Run away!  Run away!