Re: Yanking isearch to highlight-regexp

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Yanking isearch to highlight-regexp
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:29:59 +0300

>> Now here is a patch for hi-lock.el that uses `read-regexp'.
>> It also marks `hi-lock-regexp-history' as an obsolete variable
>> that is replaced with `regexp-history'.
>
> Sounds good.
>
>> Another change is renaming `hi-lock-face-history' to
>> `hi-lock-face-defaults' and putting the face list to the
>> minibuffer's default list instead of the history list:
>
> Why is that good?

Because the standard behavior for M-p is to retrieve previous input
from the history list, and M-n to retrieve default values like from
a list of default faces in this case.

However, I think it is inconvenient when face names are mixed with other
input in the default history list `minibuffer-history'.  We could create
a new history list `face-name-history' specially for face names entered
in the face-reading commands.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/