Re: Release plans

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 01:12:01 -0400

    > No, I expect that router does not count.  I'd expect users don't
    > install software at all in that, so it might as well be a circuit, and
    > we don't need to ask whether there is actually software inside it.
    >
    > You are arguing against a straw man that didn't come from me.

    So we are not forced to give a copy of the source code which is used inside
    the GNU/Linux based routers and bridges network appliances we rent to our
    customers?

That's a different question entirely, which is not what
I was talking about.  By criticizing something nobody said,
you are only sabotaging the discussion.

    Yes, you are right. Those are all good reasons to protest
    against Apple.

    But none of these are particularly egregious examples of
    “evil”

DRM is always evil.

           — particularly since Apple has a history of going
    out of its way to make the restrictions it imposes as light as
    possible for its customers —

It's not true, but even if it were, it would not signify.  Apple
entered voluntarily into a deal with record companies to implement
DRM, and it shares in the profits from that deal, so it also shares
in the culpability.