Re: Release plans

From: Nic
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 14:48:58 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     > I am glad that Emacs can have this effect.
>     > Did you first run it on Windows?
>
>     Yes, I did.
>
> Well then, Emacs on Windows has in at least one case brought someone
> more or less all the way to freedom.  If this happens often, then it could
> amount to a good reason to have Emacs run on Windows.

Just wanted to say, this happened to me too.

For a while I was a sysadmin using GNU/linux extensively but having a
Windows desktop machine.

Using Emacs on Windows eventually led me to reject corporate IT and
just use my own laptop with GNU on it all the time. That was sometime
ago now but I don't see why that still wouldn't happen.

What actually made me move? I missed the things in Emacs that I could
do with the operating system when I was on a GNU OS. So it wasn't the
quality of the Emacs implementation on Windows, it was things like
being able to run pipelines and so forth from inside Emacs.

I have always thought that a more "modern developer" friendly Emacs
might make in-roads against things like eclipse and would help
increase users of free operating systems.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.woome.com - Enjoy the minute!