Re: Release plans

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:48:24 -0400

    From my limited understanding of the complex free/freedom in
    software, it attracts only the real hackers.

I have met many people who support the free software movement as a
political issue even though they are not programmers.  Perhaps
your experience is limited to a narrow segment of society.

    Not everyone wants
    access to the source code when they cannot modify it.

Some people do not see the deeper and larger consequences
of free software, so they think about the question purely
in terms of what they personally can or will do.
This is a common tendency in our society, which encourages
it because it makes people pliable for business.  People
with these ideas, if not good programmers themselves, may not
realize how important the four freedoms are to everyone.

I explain this issue in my speeches about free software.

Our mission is to teach them to value these freedoms -- not
follow their failure to do so.