Re: Release plans

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:42:04 -0500

A Soare <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Windows hardly matters anymore.
>>
>>     Windows is not growing much in functionality...
>>
>> Windows is important as a problem as long as it is non-free and
>> considerable numbers of people keep using it.  It is clear that when
>> you say it "hardly matters" you are thinking of some other criterion.
>
> I have never known in all my life a person using windows that thought
> to use emacs. All persons that I knew and wanted to (learn lisp)/(use
> emacs) used linux or MAC OSX.
>
> So a considerable number of peuple use Windows, but (almost) never
> Emacs in Windows.

I suspect that differs considerably depending on the field you're in and
surveying.

At a U.S. university, I do see Emacs on Windows.  One of my professors
used it for demonstrating things from his laptop in lecture.  Other
professors use Emacs, and use Windows for some things (frequently their
laptops run Windows).  I'm not sure how much use they make of Emacs on
Windows (I haven't witnessed it), but they are users of both Windows and
Emacs.  Whoever used my lab laptop before I got my hands on it also had
Emacs installed on Windows.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.