Re: Release plans

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:05:33 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     How does not providing dynamic loading maximize what users can
>     do while remaining free?
>
> It protects against the danger of non-free C-level add-ons to Emacs.
> It's the same principle as the GPL itself.

What about implementing an interface in dynamically loadable modules
that that Emacs can use to determine if the module is GPL compliant?

Free libraries could easily add the interface, proprietary vendors would
highly unlikely add it. I think Linux kernel modules has something
similar.

I'm personally more interested in out-of-process interfaces for Emacs,
like Xembed, Corba etc, but I recognize that dynamic linking of modules
in Emacs would be useful for many tasks.

--
Joakim Verona