Re: Release plans

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:04:08 -0700

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Emacs has still no support to load shared libraries during runtime and
>     IIRC it was rejected back then due to political reasons.  I call this
>     crippling.
>
> "Crippling" would imply making Emacs unusable, which it clearly isn't.

This is disingenuous.  A cripple can still get around town,
albeit awkwardly.  I think "crippling" as in "severely
problematic" is too extreme; this political problem is more like
a persistent, unscratchable itch: you can live with it, but it's
continuously irritating without encouraging you to improve your
physical condition.

What if we included shared library loading in GNU Emacs to see if
anyone tried to use it to abuse the GPL?  If so, we could remove
it, and let the abusers develop a fork.  Since the shared library
patch is already out there and there are no such forks, I doubt
there would be a problem.

Sean