Re: Release plans

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 06:37:54 -0400

   >    Freedom should never stand over software quality and usability.
   >
   > Freedom must always stand over software quality and usability, without
   > it we cannot improve the software in question.

   Not when your definition of freedom forbids certain improvements.

Free software does not forbid any kinds of improvment.  It explicitly
protects that right.

   Emacs has still no support to load shared libraries during runtime and
   IIRC it was rejected back then due to political reasons.  I call this
   crippling.

If a feature allows someone to subjugate the rights of a computer
user, then it is better not to implement it.  The Emacs maintainers
decided that this feature would do a greater disservice to users than
having it included, so they decided not to.  It is no different to
rejecting a feature because it does something annoying, you may call
it crippling, but it is just good managment of a project.