Re: Report the evolution of Emacs Lisp sources.

From: A Soare
Subject: Re: Report the evolution of Emacs Lisp sources.
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:14:45 +0200 (CEST)

>    In this moment, the only method to see how the code of emacs
>    evaluated is `diff'.
>
> Do you mean to say "evolved" instead of "evaluated"?

evolved, thanks.

>    One can show the differences, by comparing the internal
>    representation of the lisp code tree of 2 versions. I saw this
>    idea for the C code here: [CIL-based AST-diff tool]
>
>    An advantage of this method would be to report only one when
>    the name of a variable changes. This method will also ignore to
>    report the null-effect characters like blanks or empty new
>    lines. diff reports everything.
>

>    What do you think, it would be useful such a tool to make
>    reports of lisp code changes? Maybe I will try it, but it might
>    be _realy_ useful?
>
> Well, there's a lot of noise possible discussing "might be useful"
> (see other threads), so i'll just say that personally i would love
> to have a tool that could intuit and summarize changes, to help
> generate ChangeLog entries.  [dreaming...]  I could hook it up to
> a visualization program[0] and make annotated movies, w/ voice
> commentary...

Yes, it could generate a simple prototype for change logs... as application.
When you cut, add, or modify an old structure  it will immediately see that.
But note that if you work on version X from the day x, you must keep the
original from the day x, otherwise it will detect in your report the changes
made by others!

Alin Soare.

Avant de prendre le volant, repérez votre itinéraire et visualisez le trafic !
http://itineraire.voila.fr/itineraire.html