Re: Report the evolution of Emacs Lisp sources.

From: A Soare
Subject: Re: Report the evolution of Emacs Lisp sources.
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:13:32 +0200 (CEST)

>    Yes, it could generate a simple prototype for change logs... as
>    application. When you cut, add, or modify an old structure it
>    will immediately see that.
>
> The analysis described in the paper you referenced is very
> superficial compared to what is possible w/ elisp.  For example,
> you can use byte-compiler properties (e.g., no side-effects) to
> report the safety of a change.

Yes, lap is a kind of expressing the parsing tree directly, without generating
parsing tree during evaluation. So you are almost right (not taking into
account that anyways we must run for every file byte-compile instead of read).

In fact all the problem is to compare 2 trees (the parsed code) whose each node
keeps a key = <function name> and a leave has key = <a variable name [or] a
lisp_object (string, number, etc)>. and to report a minimum set of changes.

>    But note that if you work on version X from the day x, you must
>    keep the original from the day x, otherwise it will detect in
>    your report the changes made by others!
>
> Actually, reporting the changes made by others is exactly what i
> had in mind.  Sometimes what people write in ChangeLog files is
> better understood w/ a little help from a "second opinion".

true

Yes, I can do it, and maybe I will do it, but later. For now I am concentrated
on another issues.

Avant de prendre le volant, repérez votre itinéraire et visualisez le trafic !
http://itineraire.voila.fr/itineraire.html