Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:25:00 +0200

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 11:59:51 Andreas Schwab wrote:

Hi Andreas,

> >> By fullscreen I mean no taskbar, emacs take all the screen estate.
> >
> > Isn't fullscreen display of some application window something the
> > window manager should deal with, not the application itself?  For
> > example in KDE or stumpwm you can make any window fullscreen (via a
> > window menu or a keybinding), and I'm sure it's the same for GNOME
> > and most/all other windowmanagers.
>
> That's not fullscreen, but maximize.

No, it's fullscreen.  In KDE (4.1) it's rightklick on window decoration
-> Advanced -> [X] at Fullscreen.  In stumpwm (a tiling window manager,
where all windows are maximized anyway) it's the `fullscreen' command.

> The difference is that the latter still shows things like the taskbar
> and window decoration.

Nope, there are no such things anymore.

> The fullscreen mode has to be requested by the application.

So how do those commands achive that?  Fake that request?  And who
serves it?  I've thought the window manager, but in that case there's no
reason that the application has to request the fullscreen mode.

Bye,
Tassilo